Monday, March 16, 2009

LORD OF THE POTS & PANS -

1953 -- the summer after my sophomore year in high school, I was
reluctantly a part of the kitchen staff at Lebanon Christian Camp in North Jersey. My father was at his wits end and hoping the experience would "settle me down and do me some good". At $10 a week plus room and board in a 6-man (woman) tent no less, it wasn't a get rich quick scheme. There was a ton of fun with the other teens, long serious talks about life, a multitude of camp activities, I even earned my life guard certificate, and unique growing experiences that softened my restless heart. It turned out that not only did I work really hard, but much to my amazement, I enjoyed the summer, and as always, God had something for me to learn. Over the stinky, sweat inducing pot sink (often my kitchen clean-up assignment) hung this powerful prayer.


PILGRIMS PRAYER
by Brother Lawrence

Lord of all the pots and things
Make me a saint by getting meals
And washing up the plates


Thus Brother Lawrence was able to turn even the most commonplace and menial tasks into a living hymn to the glory of God. At any moment, and in any circumstance, the soul that seeks the companionship of God may find Him.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Arnette! That is a great post - I love that prayer - I might have to put that above my stove :) Good to see you've started a blog because your a very talented writer and I look forward to following! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Arnette! Welcome to blog land!

    ReplyDelete